Friday, July 4, 2014

Doin' It Wrong

I spent a lot of time on Wednesday working out in my backyard, and while doing so, I came to the realization that I've been doing my summer all wrong.
    As I've said before, the day after the spring art show is like New Year's Day for me because I'm finally released to work on the projects I want to work on instead of projects I have to work on. During the first part of the year, I'm chained to the drafting table, but my mind is wandering, dreaming of the day when I can finally work on that painting, that piece of furniture, that little woodworking project, etc., etc.
    What I did was to start on one project that I can't finish just yet, and another that is going to take months to get it just right.  And both of these are projects that do not require either sunlight or warm dry weather.
    Right after the show, I decided that it would be a good idea to replenish my inventory now instead of waiting till the fall.  I figured out which prints I needed matted and framed, and started cutting mats.  But I hadn't gotten into it very far when I realized that some of the information on my certificates was out of date, specifically an old phone number and a non-functioning website.  Unfortunately, the woodburning computer that I have the Print Shop program on is barely functioning, and it has no printer anyway, which means I have to use my Dad's computer.  He has a much later version of Print Shop, but I have trouble using it.  The night I went over to his house to try to get the certificates done, the results were not good.  He tells me he's fixed the problem, but I haven't been back over there to see what he's done.
    The other project is my Titanic model.  After I finished my Lusitania model last December, I couldn't wait to get started on the Titanic.  When I did, I discovered some flaws in the way the model was manufactured.  I want this model to be perfect, so I'm spending a lot of time working on the details, but mostly I'm spending a lot of time thinking and waiting for paint to dry.  I could be doing this as I'm finishing my day instead of letting it take over my whole day.
    What I realized while mowing the lawn the other day was that the first thing I need to do is clean out my garage.  That would free up a lot of workspace, and help me to stop procrastinating on some of the other projects I want to get done this summer -- projects that individually won't take so much time.  Then there's the problem of time management, which means more sleep and less computer.  That's going to be hard, but one thing I know about myself is that if I get started on something early, I'll work on it all day.
    So now I know what to do.  I just need to remember what it is when my weekend rolls around in a few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment