Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Time Travel


This morning I was reminded of the reason I wind up going to work at the beginning of my week on almost no sleep.

First of all you should know that I work nights at a hotel. I go to work at 11:00pm and usually get off between 7:30 and 8:00am. The plan is to be in bed before 10:00am, and I'm usually up around 5:00pm. Ideally, I should stay on the same schedule on my days off, but it never seems to happen. And it's all Monday's fault.

I worked Sunday night this week, and Monday I slept till five. I had a long talk with the househusband about things that had been troubling me of late, and then hit the treadmill for a mile and a half. Then we went out to a colorie laden dinner to celebrate Valentines Day and the second anniversary of his moving in with me. (When one works nights, one rarely celebrates a holiday on the actual date.) After that we went out to the club, which is our Monday night habit. Afterward we came home and went to bed. This is where things go wrong every week.

We were in bed by 3:00am, only ten hours after I had gotten up. So, naturally, I was awake by 8:00 this morning. I predict, despite my best intentions, that I will be asleep by Midnight tonight, getting up around 9, and then by the time I get off work Thursday morning, I will have been up for 24 hours or more. I'll sleep 12 hours, and then go right to work. When I get off Friday morning, I won't be sleepy at all, even though I have to get up early in order to spend time with the kids. I'll go to work Friday night dog tired, and be dozing off on my way home Saturday morning. I'll catch up with my sleep on Saturday, and Sunday and Monday I'll be back on a normal schedule, afterwhich the whole cycle starts over again.

It's amazing thatI don't have more migraines.

No comments:

Post a Comment