Wednesday, February 1, 2012

How the Weekend Panned Out

It's six in the morning on a Wednesday. I've had the last two nights off, for which I am grateful. Much of last year my weekends were split because of my counterpart's school schedule and other availability problems. This is the third week in a row that I've had two days off together, and I've been making the most of them. The biggest problems, as usual, are sleep and computer, both of which can really screw up the way I use my time.

This morning I've been up since 3:30, and I've spent all of the last three hours on the computer. I cleaned out my message page on Facebook and my email inbox. Some of what was there became the previous blog post.

I didn't expect to be up this early, and I'm still in my pajamas. I'd like to get dressed and go work on the projects I've been busy with this weekend, but I don't want to wake Gaby. If I wait till the sun comes up I won't have to turn on a light to find my clothes, and I can be quiet enough to let him sleep.

We weren't been very happy with each other yesterday, but to explain why requires a bit of background.

I own some ancient cookware, some of which is at least thirteen years old, and it was cheap stuff to begin with. Naturally, much of the non-stick surface is worn away. He says it's because I use metal utensils (which I do occasionally, but not often enough to warrant concern), but I believe it's because they're old and cheap.

Recently we aquired some new expensive cookware, but they are rarely used unless the old and cheap ones are dirty. Overnight, while he was asleep, I made some mashed potatoes in one of the new expensive saucepans because I couldn't find the old and cheap one that I really wanted to use. Our potato masher happens to be metal, but it has no sharp edges and I used it carefully, and then used a plastic spatula to scoop out the potatoes.

As soon as the sun was up, I threw myself into a woodworking project that I'd been wanting to get to for some time, and while all of my mental and physical energies were being thrown into this project, he came out to complain about my use of that saucepan. Naturally all he got from me was a blank stare because I didn't know what he expected me to do about it while I was completely engaged in something else. He then came out with one of our cheap but brand new frying pans and attacked the surface of it with a metal fry scooper. That was uncalled for, and I could have said something about it, but, as I said, I was busy.

When I got to a stopping point, I came in for lunch, and checked Facebook. He had posted about how difficult it was to live with someone who didn't care about what he cared about. That's ridiculous. Not caring and completely disagreeing are two different things. I typed back, "Not guilty." He later deleted that post.

I spent the rest of the afternoon working on my project, and was pretty pleased with how it was going. I had one setback, but it was easily fixed, and I discovered that I was out of paint, so I had to go to Lowe's. When I got to my next stopping point, I was starving. It was at that moment that he asked me to fix the window on the front of the house.

He pointed out later that I could have said no. And he was right. I could have told him how hungry I was. I could have told him that we didn't have all the materials we needed, and that I didn't want to spend any more money at Lowe's or the time or gasoline it took to get there. I could have just told him I had other plans. But I didn't, for two reasons.

First, we have a different approach to things. He wants something done, I want it done well. The result is that I will put things off until I have the time, the resources, and the mental focus to get it done. (This is a form of procrastination common to Frustrated Perfectionists.) He, on the other hand, has too much time on his hands, and I was a little afraid of what the result might be. (I was mad enough that I actually said something to him about this where I wouldn't have normally. He was a bit offended.)

Second, and most importantly, I didn't want to give him more ammo for his "he doesn't care" rant.

On top of that, we were running out of daylight, and if we were going to do it, we had to do it right then. Ultimately the project came out just fine. We worked together, and we were very pleased with the results. It just needs some paint.

Later I found this on his Facebook:

Gabriel Guerrero-Savage
According to psychologists and psychiatrists, it is healthy to gripe about the things that bother you with your spouse. Things about him or her that makes you feel unappreciated, etc. They say it's better than keep [sic] them to yourself because that can get you physically and emotionally sick. Then you start hiding thing from them and growing apart. But they don't say what's next after you have griped! hehehe

2 people like this.

Saúl Peña The "cold shoulder" maybe?

Gabriel Guerrero-Savage Yes Saúl, I'm afraid that's what we got...

Saúl Peña Things will go back to normal real soon. Don't worry. It's part of the process.

Thing is, I wasn't giving him the cold shoulder. I was just preoccupied.

3 comments:

  1. Well I regretted posting the first one and what I did to the poor pan. I don't get that upset normally. But feeling frustrated and ignored made me lost it.
    I do appreciate to be supported 'financially' but even when I don't have an income, I do work in the house trying to have everything clean or at least looking decent. That's a kind a job that no one seems to appreciate.
    When I was a kid, my parents had just enough to feed the family and pay the bills. We (7 people)lived in a 2 room house until I was around 12-14 years old, I never went on a vacation trips or had the nice toys we saw on tv and everybody had. My mom spent her life cooking and clening for us, doing construction work and also cooking, sewing and ironing for other people in order to make a few more bucks to pay for the extra things we needed for school. She made us learn that we had to appreciate and value the few things we could afford and that we had to keep our room and house organized and clean. I just can't understand why some people don't care about those things! the cost of learning all those things cost me several spankings, slaps on the face, belt marks on my back and even had my hands (for seconds)on the stove's fire. It's not easy for me to see my efforts doing all what I was taught to do gone unnoticed.
    Not all of us had an easy childhood were our parents gave us everything we wanted and do everyting for us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So I woke up knowing that I left everything clean last night and find out that you couldn't see the pans that were clean on the rack, and that you did all those things.
    I was telling you that you dumped knives, forks and the meat mallet in one of the good pans and also scratched the frying pan when you put the metal scooper in it for no reason. But instead of saying something you do what you do best, and I lost it, so I scratched it more, since you don't care. As I said, I regret I did it and felt sick all day because I wasn't able to control my anger.

    I didn't ask you to fix the window, I just wanted you to cut the wood so I could work on it some other day. But it was better because you are always asleep during day time and I can't fix this kind of things after you wake up because it's too dark and probably the neighbors are asleep by then.
    Fixing things that are broken around the house have priority for me and I don't think I'm wrong, the place we live in should be first and the studio can wait, unless it's an emergency of course.

    I just wish you could see that I DO CARE about the things we have and that I try not to be a burden for you. I wish I could do more for you but you don't help me much doing that.
    I love you very much and I want to make things work out better.

    ReplyDelete