Monday, April 9, 2012

Even Jay Leno Fails Once In A While

Last Tuesday morning I noticed that my old friend MW had posted a link to a CBS story about some remarks that the President had made concerning the Supreme Court's review of the health care law. He commented, "Marbury v Madison. Perhaps we should send Professor Obama copies of the decision?" I wasn't particularly interested at the time, so I didn't read the article. If I had, I would have seen that the President had said that he was "confident" the Court would not "take what would be an unprecedented, extraordinary step of overturning a law that was passed by a strong majority of a democratically elected Congress." Of course, that's silly, since deciding that type of thing is one of the courts primary functions. (He tried to clarify later, but it didn't quite take.)
Saturday, I was getting ready for the treadmill, and decided to watch Tuesday's edition of The Daily Show while I was exercizing. In the second segment, Jon talked about this same subject, making fun of the President for saying what he said, showing a clip of FOX and Friends making fun of the President for saying it (and talking about the same case that M mentioned in his post), showing a clip of Sarah Palin saying something similar to what the President said, another clip of Sheldon Whitehouse (D)RI saying the opposite of what the President said, and a clip of Mitt Romney saying, "We Conservatives stand for causes that are to important to allow unelected judges to force their own biases on an unwilling nation." Jon then went on to talk about what the Supreme Court was doing while the Republicans and Democrats were "swapping places."
Feeling amused, and in a jocular mood, I decided to comment on M's post: "Judicial Activism. It's not just for liberals anymore." Instead of an LOL, I got corrected. Hm.
I tried again with a simple (and factually incorrect, as it turned out) redirect based on M's response. This time I got corrected by a friend of his. Well, fine. If you guys don't get the joke, I don't feel the need to explain it to you. I abandoned the conversation.
But I'm still wondering how I wound up on the other side of an argument by agreeing with the other participants.

No comments:

Post a Comment