Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Spoiled much?

I don't usually get upset with a guest. I get irritated or exasperated by situations a guest might create, but for me to really be angry takes a lot.

About 4:00 this morning, CW needed a break before the morning exodus began, so she left me in charge of the front desk for a few minutes while she went out to the garage for a cigarette. She hadn't been gone a minute when a young cute drunk couple came to the front desk needing a taxi to go to IHop. I went outside to the spotlight at the flag plaza and used my little mirror to hail the cab down the street, but he didn't respond, so I had to run down the street to get him.
The cab driver was someone I had never seen before and, judging by his lack of urgency, I guessed he was new. By the time we got back to the hotel (I had been gone about three or four minutes) there was a white pickup at the entrance. The young couple thanked me for the taxi (she gave me a hug and a kiss,) and they left.
I went inside, where I found a man standing at the front counter yelling "hello" into the office doorway. I walked up to him wearing my monogrammed jacket and valet uniform, and said, "Good morning."
He looked me up and down and said, "Do you work here?"
"Yessir"
"Do you do both this and that?" he asked, pointing to the office and the drive. His question led me to believe that he needed to check in.
"I'm the valet. Let me go get CW for you." I went out the door, where Security Guy told me that CW was already in the office.
I went back out to find the guest griping at CW because he had pulled in at 4:00am and didn't find anybody outside to help him park his billion dollar pickup. He said he'd gone to the parking garage over there (pointing north--valet parking is on the north side of the building, self-park is on the east,) but the gate wouldn't open for him. He came back around to the front of the building, but didn't find anyone outside, and no one was at the front desk, and the only person around was that idiot in the bar playing chopsticks so loud that no one could hear him calling for help. He owns a multi-million dollar company in Tulsa, and this is a shoddy way to run a business (he repeated this a few times,) when he was paying so much for a room. He asked several questions about our lack of service, and what he needed to do to get what he needed. There was a strong implication that he believed that I should have been standing out in the cold all night waiting for his arrival, regardless of my other duties. He wouldn't shut up long enough to actually let us answer, and it took him a while to say that all he needed was valet service. "So what do I need to do?"
"What's your last name?" I asked. He told me, and I wrote it on a valet ticket and handed him the claim stub.
"What do I do with this?"
"This is how you get your truck back."
"Oh, I guess I need that. What else do I need to do?"
"Just give me your truck keys."
"That's it?" He said the keys were in the truck, and he needed to get some stuff out. I followed him outside while he explained his concerns about security in our garage, and my driving. He apologized for his tirade a couple of times, but not in a way to make me feel better about the things he had said. He got some odds and ends out of the vehicle, and then he and his travelling companion, who had been in the truck the whole time, went inside and up to their room.
I parked the truck in a place where the security camera would see it, locked it up, and went back inside. CW was working on writing a very obsequious letter in a card* apologising for her "inexcusable absence" and informing him that his valet charge was being comped. Although comping the valet was the right thing to do, I felt that her apology was a bit much. After all, none of this was her fault; it was just a case of bad timing. If he'd come in five minutes earlier, or five minutes later, he would have had nothing to complain about. Or, if the taxi driver had answered my little flashy thing, I would have been there when he arrived and would have taken care of him immediately.
I spent the next couple of hours delivering statements and newspapers, so I had some time to be alone with my thoughts, and the more I thought, the angrier I got. Yeah, we regret that he was inconvenienced, but he still didn't need to talk to us that way. He wasn't being neglected; I was just helping someone else when he arrived. That kind of thing happens. We treat all of our guests with warm and gracious service and the young drunks are no less valuable to us than the CEOs, politicians and movie stars that go through here. And the rapid-fire questions/complaints tell us that you don't want answers; you just want to make us feel bad. If you just let us know what you need, we'll take care of you quickly and professionally.
And if I can back a seven passenger van with a U-Haul trailer into a narrow alley, I can sure as hell park an ordinary pickup, and when I do it will be just as secure as the Bentley on its left and the Ford Taurus on its right.
I delivered CW's card. I didn't want to.

*We have blank greeting cards, with a picture of the hotel on the front, for writing personalized notes to guests.

No comments:

Post a Comment