Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Pool Party


One of our managers (the AFOM, which makes him my boss' boss) likes to throw pool parties at his house during the summer. The guest list includes present and former hotel employees, and a few other friends. The party on Sunday night was the first of the season, and it was also the first time that I had no scheduling conflict, so Gaby and I were able to go. We wound up staying for 6½ hours, leaving at 3am.

We found one of the couples there to be amusing. They were in the "other friends" category. She was a very pretty young lady with sandy hair and a perfect figure, who kept complaining about being fat. The more she drank, the more politically polarized she became. Anyone who had voted for Obama was her friend; anyone who didn't was an object of scorn. She didn't know what to do with us because Gaby can't vote, and I voted for Obama in spite of being a Republican. I suspect that her political leanings have very little to do with actual issues, and more to do with the President's rock star status.
Her young man was very attractive, though we think he knew it. We couldn't help but stare, and he noticed. The drunker he got, the more he appreciated being appreciated. He kept posing for my camera, and every time he looked me in the eye, he grinned mischievously, as if to say, "I know you want me." He's way too young, but I did enjoy looking.

Our AFOM has a pretty nice house. Like ours, it has a lot of partially finished/partially started remodeling and improvement projects going. He's got a lot of ideas if he can just get around to them.
He also has four labradors (they're not all his, but I didn't hear the stories behind them) who enjoyed the party as much as everyone else. One of them, Thomas, is addicted to fetch. At first he was bringing us a nasty rope toy, but when AFOM threw it over the fence, he found a stick in the yard, and now that was his new favorite toy. We had a lot of fun teasing him by hiding it, pretending to throw it, and all the other ways one plays with a dog's brain. Once, I pretended to throw it in the pool, but threw ice instead. He saw the splash and dove right in. The poor thing spent the next several minutes swimming laps looking for his stick.

Although the water was cold, there was a whole lot of swimming going on through the wee hours of the morning. At one point we were joined by a toad which had to be rescued from the dogs. All in all, we had a terrific time, and I can't wait till the next one.

No comments:

Post a Comment