Saturday, March 21, 2009

At the Corner of Lover's Lane and Wall Street

Several years ago, I sent an email to a very smart friend of mine concerning an uncommited relationship with a young man, G, who had just told me that he didn't "feel the magic" with me.

Doc: Sometimes my thoughts and my emotions aren't on the same wavelength. I should be relieved. Instead I feel kind of empty.
I was trying to be protective of his feelings, while enjoying as much of his company as possible.
I promised nothing.
I wondered how he would feel, once I started going out again, if I acted the same way I always did.
Turns out I needn't have worried.
Turns out he was protecting my feelings.
But I had no feelings; just a strong attraction. Right?

So how come I feel like I've been dumped?

Brandon: Because while you were enjoying his company, you were investing part of yourself into that relationship; you were concerned about him and his feelings, and you spent energy and time thinking about it, and so on. You were about to withdraw from that investment, But the stock in that investment had dropped before you had "closed the deal," or in psychological terms, had the type of closure you were preparing yourself for. And since the value of that relationship had decreased, the net effect is a loss. No one feels good after a loss on an investment, whether it's a financial one, or one of putting yourself into someone else.
Either that, or you did have feelings for him, and you did get dumped.

Can you tell Brandon was a finance major?

No comments:

Post a Comment